Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Halloween

One elementary school in our county has eliminated the celebration of Halloween in schools. They say it's because about 10% of the children and teachers don't celebrate the holiday. They have opted for a Fall celebration instead on November 1 that would have things like pumplin carving and apple cider.

I've added a poll here to get other people's input on this. I just researched the history of the holiday which originated with the Celtics 2000 years ago, and was replaced in the 800s by the Pope with All Saints Day, and then All Saints Eve. When immigrants (mainly from Ireland) brought their customs to America in the 1800s there was a movement to secularize the holiday and make it more a community event.

I understand that some people in good conscience don't want to celebrate the holiday and don't allow their children to participate. Does our tolerance of this difference mean that everyone should stop celebrating this American holiday?

Personally, I enjoy the unity that trick-or-treating brings to my neighborhood as families come with their children to our home to get candy, but I'm uncomfortable with costumes and events that are scary, haunted, and ghoulish, and I've tried to steer my own kids away from costumes "on the dark side". I decorate with fall leaves, pumpkins and Indian corn rather than witches and skeletons.

Our tradition is that we have always gone to the same farm to get our pumpkins and let each child pick his own from the patch. Then each child carves a jack-o-lantern for our porch that night. We have an early dinner of chili and get the kids ready to go out with their dad--getting their picture before they go-- and I give out the candy and cook pumpkin seeds for us to snack on that night along with their candy.

I'd like to hear your opinion on what Halloween represents to you, and what it's role should be in our community and schools.



For more on the history of Halloween,
click here.

6 comments:

Cami said...

I think this has long ago stopped being a "christian" holiday. I consider it an American holiday. I, too, hate the scary stuff, but I do think it's fun to dress up and have one day when candy is A-OK. What I do not love is office Halloween parties. Those gross me out for some reason.

Julia said...

In my opinion too many of our society's traditions are being canceled or changed because someone might be offended (witness Christmas->seasonal holiday). I think it would be better to teach people that they don't have to participate if they don't want to, and not to take it as a personal attack. In fact, encourage them to bring their own traditions to the table. If we changed everything because 10% of the people wanted the change, where would we be? As it is our society in this country is getting messed up due to the political special interest groups who don't want anyone to even say "God Bless You" after someone sneezes!

Ok, so that sounded a lot more political than holiday-ish, but why should we change a long-standing tradition for one person when 9 other people would rather do the original thing? I don't think it's about Halloween, I think it's about catering to those who think their way is better than everyone elses. Maybe if people were offended once in a while, as long as the offense was unintentional, they would learn that it's not a big deal, they didn't die, and they could get over it. They're not always going to get their way!!!

Ok, climbinb off soap-box now. Another friend posted something like this on her LJ, so I've had some time to think about it.

Tracy said...

I will be so mad if they stopped having the Halloween parade and parties at my kids' school. It's so fun to see all the costumes and how cute the kids and teachers look. Plus I personally love putting on a fun costume, not to mention the candy--yummy!

ftataljanna said...

hello cheri

peace be upon you

i guess you've heard about islam but i don't know how much you know about it

i wish to give you alink to some trustful site telling about the prophet who delivered the message of islam to the whole humanity

http://www.islamway.com/mohammad/

i hope you will be interested enough to give it avisit

even a one time visit will be greate

thank you for your kindness for reading the whole comment

Jenni said...

For me Halloween is just FUN! It makes me feel sad that kids have to miss out on the whole school party/costume parade thing, just to please a few. At least we'll always have our wonderful trunk-or-treat!:)

Jann said...

Crazy that the school canceled this. I think I would not be too happy about this. I do not like the scary stuff either, but it is fun for kids to enjoy being kids. I have such good memories of Halloween growing up, and love sharing that with my kids.