Tuesday, May 8, 2007

New Driver


Yesterday Daniel passed his driver's test--the first time. That is a proud break from the Meiners' tradition of taking it twice. But he still had to wait to get it. He took driver's ed last summer--almost a year ago. And though you need to drive for 60 hours and 6 months in Maryland before you can get it, a few extra months were added as we dealt with a driver's education program that tested our patience.

It seemed like a great idea to go with the program offered at the high school since it was reasonably priced, close and benefited the school. However, it took weeks of daily phones messages (they were never there), emails, snail mail and a visit to their far away office (which was actually only an office late at night, and a doctor's office by day) to get appointments with a driver for the 6 hours of personal driving instruction he needed. They missed all 3 of those appointments in January, though, and were still unreachable. After calling the school and formally complaining to the MVA we secured dates four months later--and the week before the appointment times came, we were informed by the MVA that the company was no longer in business!

Calling a new company, we got appointments for last week after only a short wait and an actual, punctual, friendly driver appeared at our door. After 11 months, it was like a miracle! Three days later Dan finished his requirements and took the test.

Now the real hard part comes...letting him have the keys. Oh, he's a great driver--I've just become a teensy bit nervous after riding with four drivers-to-be over the last six years. But at the same time, I really didn't mind not accompanying Dan as he and Julia went to Seminary at 5:30am this morning.

6 comments:

Jenni said...

Yay that you now have an early morning seminary driver!! :) What a nightmare w/ the drivers ed company! Ugh!! Congrats to Daniel!! :)

Cami said...

Wow! Teenage drivers. My mom always told us to turn off the radio and no talking! Yeah right.

Kellie said...

I firmly believe that a mother's free ticket into the celestial kingdom is teenage drivers. It's a gimme.

Jann said...

This is such a huge step toward his independence. I just about put my parents in an early grave with this one. I was very unpredictable and spontaneous (well, still am), and they were terrified of me driving. I know you are sending him out there with lots of prayers for protection.

Mendy said...

Congrats to Danny! He's always been a sweet boy. I am so excited for him and for you--no more Seminary runs!

Corinne said...

I remember my mother shouting for joy when I finally got my license. WAHOO for you both!