Monday, May 7, 2007

Company for Dinner

Our married daughter Kara and husband Luke are living nearby this summer at his grandma's in Virginia while Luke has an internship here. Kara is working as a receptionist for the summer. For the past three weeks, (and for more, I hope) they have come over on Sunday--this week to church with us also. Sunday dinner has always been the most important dinner of the week at our house because we make more time for it, and we're usually all there to enjoy it together. But it seems to be even more important now that it's the only time we see Kara and Luke. I found myself making a list of my Sunday dinners so that I can serve something fun and interesting each week. Though they are family, they have earned the status of dinner "company".

Kids like to know what we'll be having for dinner. Usually I can't even say what the menu is while I am making it, but yesterday I announced the menu in the morning and asked each of the children which item they wanted to help prepare. Julia even told people at church what we would be having for dessert. (The intense interest in our anticipated meal may also be attributed to the fact that yesterday was our fast Sunday, the day of the month that we don't eat or drink for about 24 hours, and everything always tastes fantastic when we end our fast.)

When my children were younger it was hard for me to have more than one "helper" at a time in the kitchen, but one of the fun things about Sunday meals now is that everyone enjoys preparing the meal together. I enjoy teaching them tips about cooking, they are cooperating together as two people might be preparing something together, and everyone has the satisfaction of having helped and having their dish appreciated.

By the way, here's a link to recipes from my favorite cooking show, Everyday Italian.

Now I need to think of something new to serve next week...

5 comments:

Cami said...

Sounds way fun! I miss eating Sunday dinners with my family. Jake and I used to go there every week. Making a nice good meal that you have planned on preparing is so satisfying, isn't it??

Jenni said...

Sunday dinners were my favorite with my family too!! It sounds like you make yummy stuff - I love Giada!! :)

Jann said...

So wonderful to have your family together. What a great tradition.

Mendy said...

I am so glad you are enjoying having Kara and her husband around. How fun for all of you to cook together!

Corinne said...

How great Cheri! I love family dinners with my Mom. Being with all my sisters cooking while my Dad and the boys are out workin' the grill. Wonderful times. I love that you cook with your kids - I want to do more of that!