Thursday, April 26, 2007

Maryland School for the Blind

This morning was my fourth annual visit to Maryland School for the Blind. April 26 is Miss Nancy's day at the school, (which has always been the day I have gone.) Miss Nancy is the woman who first started the children's show Romper Room, the first educational show for T.V.

It was first shown in Baltimore in 1953, and was later syndicated and franchised locally around the country--until 1994. [I was a big fan when I was 4 or 5 and almost got to appear on the show in Salt Lake, but I was in school by the time my name was drawn, and my brother Vic went--apppearing on the show for a week.

After the show, Miss Nancy volunteered and read to children at the MD School for the Blind up until her death. Today was the 10th celebration of Miss Nancy's Day. Miss Nancy's daughter and son were there.
Her daughter was Mr. DoBee. We also had an appearance from the Oriole Bird and an Oriole pitcher. The Vice President at Verizon is blind. He came with his dog. Verizon donated Braille books. His daughter, who is currently Miss Annapolis Teen also came and talked to the students.

I also read a couple books and sang with my guitar. I bring rhythm instruments for the children and they sing and play along. (I have a few drums, tamborines and maracas. To stretch my supply, I also used children's blocks that can be hit together, and filled film canisters with rice or corn for young chidren to shake.)

Donna, the librarian, saw my books in a catalog a few years back, and realizing that I am a local author, asked me to come. It has become a bit of a tradition now. James also did his Eagle project for the school--having people read some of the school's books on tape so the children can follow along.

The children have varying degrees of sight. Some have large, thick glasses. Some have walking sticks. Some walk on the arm of a teacher or aid. (The ratios of adults to students seems to be about 2:1.) Several are in wheelchairs because they also have other disabilities. They are all polite and attentive--especially to music. And they get excellent care at the school. The children live at the school during the week and take a bus home on weekends. For that reason, it seems to be a closeknit group and the teachers are very caring.

I also enjoyed talking with teachers and other adults about their children or class in light of my books and which might be helpful. As we talked about the skills that they want a child to learn, I felt that I was in the right place and glad that I could help.

6 comments:

Jenni said...

That is such a wonderful tradition Cheri! How neat to be involved with such a great school! You know what - I was on Romper Room when I was little!! How funny is that!! I still remember how nice Miss Nancy was! :)

Corinne said...

Awesome opportunity! It's so nice to make a connection with an organization like that. It reminds me of when I volunteered at a retreat for Connections Beyond Sight and Sound - an organization for people who are deaf and blind. Mostly it was parents bringing their deaf and blind children and their siblings. It was incredible to meet the kids and provide support to the parents. We did a day-camp sort of thing during the day so the parents could go to classes and then we split up and did babysitting for individual cabins for the familes at night. For some families, it was the ONLY time in the entire year when the husband and wife would go out together because of the demanding nature of their child's disability. I love that you are involved in this community :)

Cami said...

That sounds so great. I'm sure they appreciate you so much! I just did my last music time at Jefferson's preschool today and it was bitter-sweet. Sounds like a great place!

Mendy said...

How cool, Cheri! I totally loved Romper Room and anxiously waited to hear "I see Mendy," but never did. I would always listen carefully for my unusual name. Anyway, it sounds wonderful that you got to read and sing to the children.

Cheri J. Meiners, M. Ed. said...

Mendy, Iremember always waiting to hear my name too. I learned yesterday that Oprah was also bothered by that, and apparently went to Miss Nancy's home for a show to tape Miss Nancy looking through the mirror and seeing "Oprah".

Kellie said...

Cheri-that is a wonderful day. It is a joy to be able to use your talents to bless others, and be blessed in the process.