Friday, April 20, 2007

Last Edit


I'm feeling a bit nostalgic as I just approved the last edit on the last book of the children's series I've written. My editor, Margie, reminded me that we have worked together for six years to publish these 14 books. It's been a rare opportunity to work with talented people and to feel that I have contributed something of worth. I hope you won't mind me recounting some highlights here.

* I began writing in 2000. I spend about a year writing and illustrating 12 books. It took me about a year to sign a contract with Free Spirit Publishing. [I was also offered 2 other contracts.] It was a little over a year when the first 2 books were published in Spring of 2003. I continued at the pace of about 2 every 6 months. I planned the scenes with the text. The books were sent to reviewers for comments and then Margie and I worked out the editing together. Meredith, the illustrator, then sent sketches which I critiqued along with Margie and Marieka, the graphic designer. Meredith then completed the water colors as we edited the questions and activities I wrote for the back of the book. The manuscript files were then sent overseas and the published copies came back about three months later.

* Over a million copies of the books (collectively) have been sold to date. This includes special order editions of over 500,000 books sold to a group who gives them to clients.

*Some of the people who endorsed the series were Mary Jane Weiss,consultant from Rutgers University; Sid Connor; Glenn Sciraldi; Joel Beckstead; Jay Monson and Steven R. Covey. [I was in turn asked to do an endorsement for Sean Covey's newest book, 6 Most Important Decisions.]

*I've seen the books appear on various websites such as the following: churches, libraries, schools, universities, autism groups, special education and gifted child groups, parenting, abuse trauma, educational curricula, psychologists, homeschoolers, a blog in Saudi Arabia, and even the Girl Scouts. One book appears at the bookshop of the United Nations.

* A special edition of 4 books was printed by Scholastic last December for preschoolers and kindergartners around the country to order from school.

*The series was reviewed by teachers and was a finalist for Learning Magazine's Teacher Choice award.

*Some of the books have been published in Portuguese, Indonesian and Arabic.

*Australia approved the books for their school curriculum.

*The books were named by Booklist as one of the 5 top programs for character development. They were named by another magazine as one of the top 5 series teaching character education.

*Five books mention or reference my books. (Reaching Out, Joining In; The Hidden Gifts of the Introverted Child; Learn More Now; Safe and Caring Schools; Jeff Herman's Guide to Book Publishers)

*I presented the books to the top administrators of the 14 districts in NYC for preschoolers. They were well received and are being implemented in schools there.

*I was interviewed for an article published in Working Mothers Magazine, and for local newspapers.

* I have done readings at several Barnes and Nobles, Borders and elementary schools in the area.

*I have signed books at 3 National Conventions in DC and a regional convention in Atlantic City, NJ.

*I read for the children at the Maryland School for the Blind. They presented me with two of my books in Braille. Next week will be my 4th invitation there.

*I attended a dinner in Washington for authors and was in the company of many children's authors, including my favorite, Tomie de Paola.

*A software program is currently being developed with the books for schools. The software will contain all the books and read them to the child (or they can read and turn the pages themselves.) Children will then answer a few comprehension questions at the end of each book. I will be writing the questions.

*Our local elementary school bought a set and Andrea would check them out and enjoyed telling people that her mother wrote them.

*My favorite recommendation: "It would be wonderful if these and the other lovely books in the 'Learning to Get Along' series could be dropped from the air by the thousands over every city and town throughout the world." --Catholic Parent Magazine

6 comments:

Mendy said...

WOW, Cheri! Reading all that wonderfulness about your books just brought tears to my eyes. What a labor of love you have performed for the benefit of children everywhere. I am so glad to call you my friend.
Congratulations!

Cheri J. Meiners, M. Ed. said...

Thank you Mendy. You're so sweet. I'm glad to have you as a friend as well!

Kellie said...

Congratulations, Cheri! What a wonderful way to make the world a better place.

Corinne said...

What a neat feeling - to know you've produced something that's really making a difference :)

Jenni said...

It didn't know all this about your books!! What a wonderful contribution you have made Cheri!!

Cami said...

What a journey! You've created such an amazing resource. Congratulations.