Tuesday, April 10, 2007

An Eggcellent Easter




This year Easter was our smallest ever. Even though this is Kara's 4th year of college and Erika's 3rd, they have been at home at Easter on previous years. Last year we had everyone at Deep Creek. We missed them this time. Only Julia, Andrea and I colored eggs-- but we had fun trying a new variation this time-- gluing colored string to the eggs.

Friday night we thought of our friends who were brave enough to wait all night in the snow for tickets to the White House Egg Roll on Easter Monday. I apologized to my kids that I had always felt it too daunting to take all of them as children to that event. Andrea was hilarious as she pretended to be me: "I have to take my children all the way down to Washington, and then I have to BRING THEM HOME!"

Saturday the kids hunted for plastic eggs outside, braving the freezing weather. Our grass hasn't been cut yet this year and it's pretty high. It made the hunt more of a challenge.

Sunday after church I had a lot of help with Easter dinner. The circular braided bread with cinnamin icing was a new favorite along with a roast, potatoes, asparagus and baby carrots, deviled eggs and strawberry shortcake. We read the Easter account in Matthew and John and watched a couple Easter movies together. I love Easter as a time of renewal, hope and new beginnings.

4 comments:

Jann said...

Sounds like you had a great day. It is great when our kids make fun of us. Makes you so glad you had them. Life is never dull when they are around.

The egg decorations are great. I never would have thought to glue string onto an egg. What a great idea. Very creative.

Mendy said...

Your eggs look awesome, Cheri! Did you see what Martha Stewart did with silk neck ties? You'd love it. The circular braided cinnamon thingie sounds divine. I just bought some mayo today to do some devilin' of our leftovers. I love Easter, too.

Corinne said...

I agree with Mendy - that bread sounds great. And I LOVE asparagus. Sounds like you had a really nice day :)

Jenni said...

What a fun Easter!! Your eggs looked so great - I'll have to try that!! I totally understand not being hip on the Egg Roll with 6 kids - we only have 3 and it was a lot of work!! (But fun too!) So fun to read about your lovely Easter!! :)