Wednesday, March 12, 2008

James Flies to California

James called yesterday from the Salt Lake City airport. He and his companion, Elder Rogers, were getting ready to fly to California after nine weeks in the Mission Training Center in Provo, UT. He was in good spirits and excited about the 60 degree weather he was going to, the new bike we bought him that should be waiting for him at the Mission Home, and the "awesome" part of his mission that awaits him in California.

Here is the latest picture we have of him as he exulted in finishing the training portion of his mission, and a bit of his latest letter. For more of his letters you can go to 'Elder Meiners' blog on the sidebar.



















Vini, Vivi, Vici


I came, I saw, I conquered. The MTC is behind me. At least it will be by the time you get this letter. As I wrote before I'll be in the airport the 11th. And my plane leaves at 11:30, or 1:20 your time. I think I get to make a call to you at the airport.

At the reference center I did a call in Spanish. We could actually understand each other. I got a hold of some lady and asked if so and so Garcia was there. She said in Spanish something about how he didn't live there. And then I said thanks and bye. Obviously this means I can speak Spanish and don't have anything to worry about.

For our devotional we had an apostle. It was one of the more loud-spoken and energetic apostles. It was...Jeffery R. Holland. He was really good. He got us all pumped to go. He said that missionaries were pretty much superheroes without capes. And other things about not having regrets.

I can't wait to see how I fare in the field with my limited Spanish. It will be interesting the first while.

--Elder James Meiners

4 comments:

Jann said...

What exciting experiences are in his future.

Cami said...

oooh! good luck to him!

Tracy said...

I'm going to have to get ahold of my cousin who lives where he's going. That would be nice if she can feed him yummy food.

Christie said...

What an exciting time in your lives. Good luck to him.