Saturday, July 26, 2014

Our vacation in Rome

We were in Rome for over a week!  I had been before with my parents and brothers when I was younger, and then on a study abroad experience for a week.  I also lived in Italy for a year and a half as a missionary.  I remembered a lot of the language, so it was a city I wanted to show Dave.  We decided to share out 30th anniversary with our youngest daughters, Julia and Andrea. 



                                We saw the old city first: the Colliseum and Forum.



 We took a train out of town a bit to visit the lovely fountains of the Villa D'Este in Tivoli.  The girls remembered this and several of the sights from The Lizzie McGuire Movie, which was filmed in Rome.







 We spent a  full day at the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's Cathedral.  My favorite part is Michaelangelo's Pieta statue of Mary holding Jesus.

The square outside St. Peters

One day we took a train to Orvieto, an ancient hilltop town where the Pope and others would come, at times, for safety.





We had a LONG walk to the Borghese Gallery that wasn't too close to the subway. 


We said goodbye to our great landlady where we rented our apartment.
The apartment was awesome, and had a cool courtyard inside.  There was so much more that we saw and tasted and experienced.  Probably too much to take in and remember, but we had a great time!

No comments: