Friday, June 25, 2010

Trip to California



In June I went to visit my mom and her husband Craig who live near San Diego. I was there to help my mom organize some things in her home. Here is her china cupboard all organized. (Nice of her to display the hanging of Birds in stained glass which I made for her.)
They live in the Avocado capital of the world, so one recipe I wanted to try was a fresh, cold avocado and buttermilk soup.  YUMMMM
We traveled one weekend to Santa Rosa in Northern California (about an 8 hour drive) to see my brothers. We ate at a fun Mexican restaurant where we watched a machine making the tortillas.

The next day we went to a fair.  Vic had several of his mosaics displayed in this large tent where people could come to get out of the heat.



We also had dinner one night at Amity's house.


One day we saw the Mormon Battalion Museum owned by our church which commemorates the group of Mormons who blazed the trail to California as part of the US army. They suffered a lot of deprivation, but never were required to fight.
Mom volunteered to help demonstrate the gear they wore.


One day my Uncle Bob took us into the nearby town of Temecula. This was actually a town where our son James had served his mission.

We went to the beach one day--and then one evening.  The best part was the smell of caramel corn--which was irresistible, and munching on it as we walked on the pier. It was a beautiful trip, and I got to see a lot of my family as well as to help out.

No comments: