Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Trip to New Jersey



My friend Claudia is certified to teach Creative Journaling--which uses the expressive arts and journaling for self-discovery. She invited me to a training workshop in New Jersey the first week of December.

I could only attend on Friday and Saturday, so I drove up with her Friday morning (a 3 1/2 hour drive).

We arrived at Lisa's. She is an artist with an amazing home.


Our first art project was to make a hat.



Another project I enjoyed was cutting/pasting a landscape picture with tissue paper. Claudia holds hers, and Lisa holds mine on the right.

We also did a collage--cutting pictures from a magazine that represent our life timeline, and explaining it to the group. It's a fun process that I can get lost in.

<
We also did a group clay project where we, without talking, connected our ideas. It turned into a very interesting village.

This is Lisa's art gallery in her hallway.

Friday night we were all invited to an interesting event in this 200-year old house. It was a fundraiser for a project in Haiti. We were all served Haitian food. This fireplace mantle was decorated with pineapples and exotic fruit. We heard about the project from two people who had recently been to Haiti. The non-profit had made simple water purifiers. The people only had to put their stream water into it and the water sifted into layers of sand and gravel and within a few hours was purified.

Haiti, very close to us geographically (a 4-hour flight) is a 4th world country. Teaching children about hygiene and giving them these simple tools has produced results that the local people can replicate even when the organization leaves. They had brought back art objects made by children and people of Haiti and I participated in the silent auction. I bought a painted planter.


The other participants of the workshop were very friendly and I had a great, relaxing time. I was happy that Claudia drove and I could just visit with her on the way home.

No comments: